Monday 8 March 2010

A Day off...

Well it wasn't exactly a church free day nor was it a different experience, I spent my first 'Sunday off' from my responsibilities at Walmer back at Bloomsbury. It was great to be back amongst friends and have the opportunity to publically thank the church for its support of my 'new' ministry away from them. It was good to spend time chatting with folk who are not able to keep up with the news via this blog and to give some additional background information to those who take a keen interest in Walmer and how things are going.

As someone who struggles with taking 'time off' it was good to have a day that was full of familiar experiences and encounters to keep me occupied and so not worrying about what was happening back home.

But this blog needs to bring others up to date so here's the latest news...

The scaffolding on the spire is finished and as I blog from college, work on the initial stone cleaning should be underway. The Architect plans to inspect the state of the spire, thus far only assessed from the ground, and decide on whether any changes to the schedule of works are necessary.

The Deacons met this past week and it was good to have Alan as our newly elected deacon with us and sharing his wisdom in our deliberations.

We have encountered Judas this week in our Thursday Lenten studies and it has been encouraging to have good group discussions both at the afternoon and evening sessions.

Having rescued Alan from a visit from the Jehovah's Witnesses last week it was my turn to have a visit this week. Having corrected their assertion that Revelation was one of the writings of Paul and challenged the thrust of much of their Biblical interpretation the two ladies decided they had would end our doorstep conversation after 45 minutes. Although I assured them of my prayers for them they seemed reluctant to offer the same for me - I fear I'm noted in the book as one of the lost souls.

Our Fairtrade Coffee Morning was a great success. We sold all the Fairtrade stock I had brought from Bloomsbury for us to sell, all the delicious doughnuts provided by Dennis where eaten and we have a hall full of both regulars and visitors.

Added to all this I've had my picture taken for the local paper (again) which will be followed by an interview this week with a reporter about our spire appeal.

We've agreed a date for the first of our new 'responsibility cluster meettings' the Fabric Team will meet to discuss priorities for work on the bulding inside and out.

So it's been a busy as usual and the future promises more of the same...
Mothering Sunday is next followed by a Baptists Together Service on Passion Sunday evening. Palm Crosses are ordered, Easter Eggs are being stock piled for the Easter Egg hunt and preparations for the Baptismal Service on Easter Day are in hand.

Keep following for news...

No comments:

Post a Comment