Sunday 8 November 2009

Blogging on the train...

This week's update comes to you as I endeavour to fill my time usefully as I travel to London on the train. The journey this week is subject to a diversion to avoid engineering works which gives me even more time to type away.

It has been a good week which started with positive feedback from Dr Pieter Lalleman, the Academic Dean, on his visit to Walmer last Sunday to hear me preach. As the first 'victim' of our college reflection group to go through the experience my fellow students were pleased to note the experience, for me at least, had been positive.

Returning to Walmer the routine of the week quickly fell into place with study time early each morning and then the usual round of paperwork, prayers and Seeing Jesus sessions.

This week's Friday Night pizza gave way to our Spud and Sparkler evening, the first major outreach event we've run. As it was raining hard we were glad to have our firework fun in the warm and dry where we could enjoy our jacket potatoes in jovial company.

After a mildly frustrating day getting the technology set-up the youtube videos of both a bongire and the Madrid Firework Spectacular (17 minutes long) kept everyone entertained.

Almost 40 people shared in the fun; several fringe folk anf family members and a few 'old faces' from the past.

Research into the names listed on our war memrial revealed that one young lad who died in 1915 was buried in our local cemetery prompted the basis for the children's talk on Remembrance Sunday. (It also gives folk the opportunity, if they want to, to join me at the grave on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.)

The service was many said 'very moving', 'the best Remembrance Service for years'.

Now I journey to London to meet my support group at Bloomsbury which will, I hope be an encouragement to me and to them.

After my two days of study I return to a meeting early on Wednesday with my supervisor, a meeting of the local Ministers Fraternal and later on Friday with the local Baptist Ministers Newtwork.

Another busy week lies ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment